SUMMER PROGRAM FOR YOUTH
June 24 – July 15
This interdisciplinary program for youth ages 15–19 focuses on teaching permaculture ethics and principles as they relate to ecological and social justice, community, and place-based culture. The program includes hands-on skill building, one-on-one mentoring, and culminates in an integrated ecological-social-creative design project. Participants will receive Quail Springs’ Ethical Design Certification for Ecological & Social Justice.
Permaculture & Ecological Justice
Permaculture is a system of design focused on three core ethics: earth care, people care, and the fair sharing of resources. The permaculture curriculum builds on advanced systems of indigenous knowledge in how we can be tenders of place and our own cultures. We will learn about ecological agriculture, water systems, appropriate technologies, designing beneficial relationships that mimic nature, food forests, seed saving, animal husbandry, and finding solutions that actively grow our hope.
Social Justice & Community
The community tending & justice offerings will include communication tools, conflict resolution and transformation skills, gift identification, racial justice exploration, ecological economics, environmental justice integration, spiritual connection, self care and liberation ecology. We will look at how we serve our own communities, find our right livelihoods, and respond to the heartbreaks of cultural disconnections and inequity. We will gather tools that help us to understand what each of us brings to the table, how to practice conscious allyship and action, tend our personal and cultural grief, and where we still need to grow our understanding.
The culture-making offerings will include how we express stories, celebrate, and come together as community. We will explore nature based-skills, wildcrafting, cooking, natural dyeing, herbalism, drawing, the way of council, music, song and natural building. We will grow our connections to the land, people and ourselves as we practice telling our stories. In tending the art forms that make us feel alive, we gain powerful voices for mediation, creative placemaking, and growing human connection.
About Quail Springs’ Land and Community
Quail Springs is a leading environmental educational nonprofit that empowers students of all ages and backgrounds with knowledge, skills, and inspiration essential to cultivating ecological and social health. As stewards of a 450-acre, high desert permaculture farm and conservation site, we teach strategies and techniques instrumental for designing resilient environments and creating healthy and culturally vibrant communities. Quail Springs is a collective of onsite educators, farmers, ecologists, natural builders, chefs, artists, and other talented team members, connected to expansive local and international networks of leading-edge practitioners and passionate change-makers.
Topics we will explore
More instructors to be announced…
Coming in 2017
If you have a comment or question about this course please fill out our form below and we’ll get back to you soon.
- Course Tuition: $2,825 (deposit of $250 reserves your space in the program once you are accepted with the balance due by June 1st)
- Tuition Includes: instruction, course materials, 3 farm-fresh meals a day, transportation to field trip sites, camping accommodations, immersion in Quail Springs community life, mentoring support, alumni network, invitation to advanced trainings, access to job & internship resources and more.
- Payment Plans: Payment plans are available after a deposit is made, contact us below for more information.
Discounts: (limit one discount per person – discount codes are not to be applied to a deposit payment)
- Early Bird: $300 discount if paid in full by April 1st (Discount Code: EBIRDSV – Expires April 1st)
- Group Discounts: We are actively seeking organizational partners who work with youth and wish to send groups of students from their home communities. Groups of 3 or more attending the course together, please contact us below.
- We offer generous scholarships to those who have high financial need. Scholarship awards are based on income, resources, student commitment, and ability to share skills learned with students’ home communities. We work with all students who would like to attend the program to make it financially accessible.
- We actively support diverse young people in bringing their unique perspectives to this program through additional financial support as needed. We welcome and support as needed those self-identifying as persons of color, LGBTQ+, indigenous youth, and youth who have highly limited finances.
- We deeply value and support equitable access to social & ecological justice education. We recognize the need to support diversity, equity, and allyship as core pillars of regenerating a healthy world community. The aim of our scholarship program is to grow connections between diverse young leaders, build bridges, push edges, and inspire each other to tend both our personal and ecological well-being.
- Before May 1, 2017: Full refund, excluding $50 cancellation fee.
- May 1 – June 1, 2017: Partially Refundable, $250 deposit non refundable.
- After June 1, 2017: No refunds available.
- In case of a valid personal medical or family emergency, we will consider requests for a transfer of fees (less course deposit) to another course(s) with Quail Springs.
Have a comment or question about this course? We’d love to hear from you! Please fill out our form and we’ll get back to you soon.