May 21, 2021
Quail Springs is a leading environmental educational nonprofit that empowers students of all ages and backgrounds with knowledge, skills, and inspiration essential to cultivating ecological and social health.
about our nonprofit
Residents & Staff
Note that the Executive Director is responsible for holding most but not necessarily all of the below roles. There is also room for the Executive Director to take part in other parts of the organization’s work that are not listed here, where their skills and interests align.Leadership and Visioning
- Lead the strategic planning process and support goal setting and tracking
- Be a service-oriented leader within the context of community and a non-hierarchical workplace
- Facilitate increasing alignment of organization’s values and ethics with its structure, governance, and processes
- Partner with the Natural Building & Advocacy Director to lead the ongoing efforts to permit earthen structures onsite
- Support advocacy efforts to legalize earthen building and promote sustainable groundwater use
- Maintain the legality of nonprofit status and for all tax exemptions (state and federal)
- Maintain records for all aspects of the organization
- Oversee HR tasks (hiring, onboarding, feedback, check-ins, payroll)
- Support strategy, budgeting, and marketing for Quail Springs programs
- Lead the collaborative process of creating an annual organizational budget
- Maintain and present cashflow and budget reporting to staff and board regularly
- Support the overall financial resilience of Quail Springs
- Work collaboratively with Quail Springs bookkeeper and Santa Barbara accountant
- Submit annual federal and state tax returns (or collaborate with a paid tax preparer)
- Support the Development Director in designing and implementing fundraising strategies
- Communicate with major donors
- Collaborate with other QS staff to research, write, and edit grant applications and reports
- Collaborate with the Development Director to maintain donor database records
- Support staff to successfully be in their roles, or shift roles as needed
- Support increasing equity in the workplace
- Support continued anti-racism training for staff
- Model and support direct and compassionate communication
Qualities & Qualifications of the Ideal Candidate
- 2+ years nonprofit leadership (or equivalent organizational management) experience
- Experience facilitating a group to help align on mission, set goals, and track progress
- Experience creating and tracking budgets (experience cashflow projections a plus)
- Experience with project management
- Ability to communicate financial picture of an organization in understandable terms
- Ability to identify and connect with potential partners and funders for Quail Springs
- Ability to contribute to an inspiring and motivating work environment
- Clear and compassionate communication skills
- Ability to create and manage your own schedule
- A strong spirit of volunteerism and willingness to engage in community chores (laundry, cleaning, cooking, etc.)
- Enthusiasm for living in community and working collaboratively
- Cultural sensitivity and commitment to dismantling systems of oppression
- Permaculture experience or PDC Certification is a plus
- LGBTQ+ folks and BIPOC are encouraged to apply
Some people might hesitate to apply because they don’t have absolutely everything on the above lists of qualities and qualifications. Please don’t let that stop you! Most importantly, we’re looking for someone we can rely upon to thoughtfully manage important details of our nonprofit’s operations and finances.
Working & Living Conditions
This position is approximately 30 hours per week. In addition to the 30 hours per week commitment, we all share in community responsibilities and dinners. The person hired for this position will live and work in the Quail Springs community setting, where there are anywhere from 10-25 other people living and working on the land. You will live in your own small cob house or yurt on the land. The site is remote, with limited communications: there is no cell reception, and the internet and phone service are limited to the central office area.
Please take care to fully fill out our online application so we may best get to know you. If your application is approved, we will contact you to set up an interview. We are hard-working folks, so please be patient with our response time! But also don’t hesitate to check back in on the status of your application.
Before a final hiring decision is made, candidates are asked to come out to Quail Springs for a final interview and site visit to be sure of a mutually good fit.
Please let us know if you have any questions. We look forward to reviewing your application!
Application Deadline: May 21, 2021
Please let us know below if you have any questions about this position.