Starting as soon
as Oct. 1, 2021
Quail Springs is a leading environmental educational nonprofit that empowers students of all ages and backgrounds with knowledge, skills, and inspiration essential to cultivating ecological and social health.
about quail springs
Residents & Staff
The residents and staff of the Quail Springs site and non-profit are a group of makers and thinkers who work together to create regenerative land and community systems. The residents and staff of Quail Springs strive to create a vibrant community and balanced workplace through passion, collaboration, and celebration.
Prospective candidates must embrace simple, remote rural living in a community while working in a nonprofit organization. Quail Springs has recently adopted a new organizational structure with the aim of empowering all employees with decision-making power in their areas of work and supporting a more equitable, efficient and engaging work environment. We are excited about this new structure and a successful applicant must have an interest in non-hierarchical workplace structures and a commitment to engage with us.
ENERGY AND WATER SYSTEMS MAINTENANCE
- Maintain solar-voltaic systems, batteries, back-up fuel supply etc.
- Maintain solar-thermal hot water systems
- Operate well pump, maintain domestic water storage
- Maintain greywater systems
- Maintain and install basic plumbing and electrical
FARM & PROGRAM INFRASTRUCTURE
- Support Program Director, Hosting Director & Farm Directors in meeting the needs of the farm and programs
- Farm structure maintenance (Gates, Fences & Irrigation)
- Coordinate weed whipping and fire wood collection with community
- Campground maintenance
- Permaculture Plan Implementation
- Maintain compost toilets
- Coordinate dump runs with community
- Maintain records in an organized and accessible manner
- Plan & track recurring scheduled maintenance
- Plan and track expenditures within a budget
- Small engine repair and maintenance
- Vehicle maintenance
- Structural Building repair and safety
- Repair and maintain Natural Buildings and structures.
- Teach and delegate tasks to others on the team and in the community
Qualities & Qualifications of the Ideal Candidate
We value relevant life experiences that demonstrate qualifications as much as education
- 1+ years experience in a similar position
- Management or supervisory experience
- Ability to create an inspiring and motivating work environment
- Clear and effective communication skills
- Flexibility to changing work hours and projects
- Ability to create and manage your own schedule
- Self-directed and takes initiative on work and projects
- Responsive to the changing needs and priorities of the organization & community
- A strong spirit of volunteerism and willingness to engage in community chores (laundry, cleaning, cooking, etc.)
- Enthusiasm for living in community and working collaboratively
- Cultural sensitivity and commitment to dismantling systems of oppression
- LGBTQ+ folks and BIPOC are encouraged to apply.
Working & Living Conditions
This position is approximately 30 hours per week, with some weeks being less, and others being more. The successful candidate is self-directed, able to delegate, and thrives with a shifting workload. In addition to the 30 hours per week commitment, we all share in community responsibilities. The Facilities & Infrastructure Director will live and work in the Quail Springs community setting, where there are anywhere from 10-25 other people living and working on the mission of the organization. The site is remote, with limited communications (cell phones do not work, and the internet and phone service are limited to the central area).
Please take care to fully fill out our online application so we may best get to know you. If your application is approved, we will set up interviews. We are hard-working folks, so please be patient with our response time! But also don’t hesitate to check back in on the status of your application.
We highly recommend planning to come out for a day (or night, if a host is available) to see if it feels like a good fit.
Please let us know if you have any questions. We look forward to reviewing your application!
Please let us know below if you have any questions about this position.