HOSTING AND VOLUNTEER DIRECTOR
open until position is filled
Quail Springs is a leading environmental educational nonprofit that empowers students of all ages and backgrounds with knowledge, skills, and inspiration essential to cultivating ecological and social health.
about our nonprofit
Founded in 2004, Quail Springs Permaculture is a leading educational nonprofit stewarding a 450-acre, high desert permaculture farm and regeneration site. We are dedicated to demonstrating and teaching holistic ways of designing human environments, as well as facilitating deeper understandings of our relationships with ourselves, one another, and our local ecologies. We teach strategies and techniques for designing resilient environments and creating healthy and culturally vibrant communities.
Our goal on the farm
Residents & staff
Our residents and staff are a dedicated group of teachers, naturalists, administrators, farmers, natural builders, musicians, inspired chefs, and land stewards who strive to further our nonprofit’s mission through working, living, and teaching within the ethics of Permaculture. Our community focuses on providing top quality education through our courses, tending and restoring the land on which we are situated, creating culture through food, music and farming, and outreach to people seeking regenerative lifestyles.
This opportunity offers extensive practical opportunities to learn about the day-to-day operations of a full-time functioning Permaculture farm and educational organization, and is geared specifically for those deeply interested in and drawn to work long-term in community in both leading and supportive roles.
What we are looking for
We are looking for individuals who embrace simple, remote, rural living; successful applicants are able to live and work in the same community, while striking a work/life balance. They are inclusive, flexible, comfortable in groups, creative problem solvers, and are able to manage themselves through a wide range of challenges. High energy, a good sense of humor, strong communication skills, a positive attitude, and a willingness to learn and to teach are essential attributes.
This person is responsible for organizing and hosting site and farm tours, recruiting and managing work-trade volunteers, and organizing and hosting volunteer work-parties. They work closely with the core farm team to ensure that the work-trade volunteer needs of the farm are being met. They also work with the natural building staff and other staff teams to bring in work-trade volunteers as needed.
The Hosting & Volunteer Director is responsible for all email and phone correspondence with guests and volunteers. They will be the point person for orienting and overseeing guests and volunteers onsite as well.
The Volunteer Coordinator will report directly to one of the Co-Executive Directors, who will provide support and financial oversight.
Work Trade Coordination
- Actively recruit long- and short-term work traders based on farm and staff needs
- Correspond with interested candidates
- Conduct interviews with qualified candidates in tandem with the Garden and Animal System Directors, as available
- Coordinate the arrival, orientation and settling in of work-trade volunteers
- Coordinate work-trade tasks in conjunction with the Garden and Animal System Directors and other members of the community
- Maintain awareness of needed community and farm projects
Site Tours (Private and Group)
- Conduct private tours of Quail Springs for interested parties
- Plan, promote, register, and lead all Farm Tours
- Send post-tour email follow-ups to people and groups
Volunteer Work Parties
- Coordinate and host volunteer work parties led by other members of the Quail Springs community (e.g. natural building work party)
- Maintain a contact list of all work trade volunteers, so that we can reach out to them when needed
Qualities & Qualifications of the Ideal Person
- Experience managing people
- Exceptional communication skills and willingness to have difficult conversations (experience with NVC & conflict mediation skills)
- Ability to give and receive constructive feedback
- Knowledge of, or desire to learn, Permaculture systems
- Experience hosting site tours
- Ability to create an inspiring and motivating work environment
- Outgoing personality with the ability to clearly and effectively communicate with a variety of people
- Ability to convey the values and purpose of our nonprofit to others
- Flexibility and adaptability to changing situations and needs
- Ability to create and manage your own schedule, be flexible with hours and projects, be self-directed, and take initiative on work and projects
- Willingness to engage in community chores (laundry, cleaning, etc.) and a strong spirit of volunteerism on community projects
- Ability to live in community and to work well in a team
- Cultural sensitivity
- Strong work ethic and attention to detail
- Computer skills (recruiting, emailing and tracking)
- Spanish proficiency is a plus
- LGBTQ+ folks and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply
- Couples welcome
- We value relevant life experiences that demonstrate qualifications as much as education
Working & Living Conditions
This is a part-time position with variable hours depending on the time of year. We all share in community responsibilities, in addition to our paid work. The Hosting and Volunteer Director will live and work in the Quail Springs community setting, where there are anywhere from 10-25 other people living and working on the mission of the organization. The site is remote, with limited communications (cell phones do not work, and internet and phone service is limited to the office/classroom area). We have two small offices as our indoor working environment. Quail Springs’ classroom and kitchen commons are two 30-foot yurts which are heavily used during programs. Work will be more acute prior to, during, and just after programs and other events.
Our staffing accommodations range from canvas tents and yurts to earthen homes. This will be discussed during the interview process and depends on availability.
To apply, please fill out the application below and we will get back to you soon.