Quail Springs is a leading environmental educational nonprofit that empowers students of all ages and backgrounds with knowledge, skills, and inspiration essential to cultivating ecological and social health.
Quail Springs Permaculture
Residents & Staff
The Program Director is responsible for overseeing, implementing, and adapting the overall program strategy at Quail Springs. Currently, the primary responsibility will be to take on the management of the online Permaculture Design Course, our 10-week online course. Other responsibilities include management of existing program contracts and development of new programs, primarily off-site and online, though might also include some on-site. The Program Director will work closely with the Executive Director, the Creative Content Director, the Natural Building Director, and the Community Outreach Director.
This position is largely self-directed and the right candidate will be able to work independently as well as in collaboration with the community.
- Collaborative decision making around what, when and how programs happen (off-site, online, and on-site) at Quail Springs.
- Work closely with consultants and staff working in the compliance circle to identify what we can do on-site without additional permits, in regards to the county planning department, permitting, and zoning.
Program Finance & Fundraising
- Track programming income and profit in relationship to annual organizational budget goals.
- Work closely with the finance circle to invoice contracts, create budgets, and create clear and integrated budgeting standards.
- Track and direct fundraising efforts and opportunities related to programming at Quail Springs, including grants and donor relationships.
- Collaboratively hire, train, and support if additional staff is needed to coordinate and facilitate high-quality programming at Quail Springs.
- Create and implement standardized written content for all staff coordinating and facilitating programming to follow.
- Create and implement standardized facilitation guidelines.
- Facilitate during programming as needed.
- Create content related to all aspects of Quail Springs programming, in collaboration with the Creative Content Director.
- Regularly develop social media story/language, web copy, and newsletter content to be collaboratively implemented.
- Collaboratively create program curriculum.
- Coordinate Quail Springs’ youth outreach in the Cuyama Valley, in collaboration with the Community Outreach Director.
- Pursue organizational relationships that support better access to QS programming for marginalized groups.
Contracts & Courses
- Coordinate on-the-ground and logistical management of specific contracts and courses.
- Manage communications and on-the-ground coordination for specific courses and program contracts.
- Manage registration for courses and respond to program inquiries.
Qualities of the Ideal Candidate
- 2+ years of experience in program management (youth or adult)
- PDC certificate (strongly desired)
- Practical Permaculture experience and teaching experience (strongly desired)
- Proficient computer skills
- Experience with online marketing
- Experience teaching courses
- Experience managing people
- Experience creating or managing online programming
- Clear and effective communication skills
- Flexibility and adaptability to changing situations
- Ability to create and manage your own schedule
- Flexibility with hours and projects
- Self-directed and takes initiative on work and projects
- Strong writing skills
- Cultural sensitivity and ability to adapt working style
- Experience with video production (desired but not necessary)
- Ability to live in community and to work well in a team
- Strong work ethic and attention to detail
- Spanish proficiency is a plus
- LGBTQ+ folks and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply
- We value relevant life experiences that demonstrate qualifications as much as education
- Willingness to engage in community chores (laundry, cleaning, cooking, etc.)
- A strong spirit of volunteerism on community projects
Quail Springs is based near Ventucopa, California in the Cuyama Valley, 1.5 hours from the nearest urban/suburban center.
Working & Living Conditions
Please take care to fully fill out our online application so we may best get to know you. If your application is approved, we will set up interviews. We are hard-working folks, so please be patient with our response time! But also don’t hesitate to check back in on the status of your application.
We highly recommend planning to come out for a day to see if it feels like a good fit.
Please let us know if you have any questions. We look forward to reviewing your application!
Please let us know below if you have any questions about this position.