INTRODUCTION TO COB & NATURAL BUILDING
April 27 – May 3, 2020
Location: Ojai, CA
Cob building combines clay sediment, sand, fiber, and water, and is hand sculpted to form walls, benches, ovens, and fireplaces. Cob building makes use of readily available, affordable, non-toxic materials to build beautiful, organic structures.
The course is appropriate for both first-time builders and for professionals in the building trade who are interested in natural materials. In this cob workshop, we focus on the characteristics of the natural materials most commonly used in construction: clay soil, sand, and fibers. Our main focus will be cob, though we will touch on various other building techniques that utilize the same materials, including adobe block, light straw-clay, wattle and daub, and plasters. We will discuss how to find and choose appropriate soil for construction, how to create various mixes, how to attach wood to earthen walls, and how to use earthen materials to build walls, sculpt niches, shelves, and furniture.
This course is primarily a hands on course, where we learn by doing. This year we will be building a very tiny outbuilding, which will encompass much of the same aspects of building that you would need to know for a structure or courtyard wall. As a complement to the hands-on portion of the course, we will include slide shows and discussions of the theoretical aspects of natural building. Subjects include building design and siting, passive solar design, foundations and drainage, earthen floors, appropriate roof design, and wiring and plumbing for natural structures.
More instructors to be announced…
- Course Fee: $700
- Early Bird Discount: $100 discount (Discount Code: MUDDYBIRD – Expires: March 1, 2017)
- Course fee includes: Instruction, catered meals and camping accommodations
Soon to be announced…
If you have a comment or question about this course please fill out our form below and we’ll get back to you soon.
- Sliding Scale Cost: $800 –$1200 — What is Sliding Scale?
- Cost includes: Cost includes: Instruction, camping, and facilities. We invite all participants to take part in three farm fresh meals a day.
Discounts: (limit one discount per person)
- Early Bird: $100 discount if paid in full by March 15th, 2020 (Discount Code: MUDDYBIRD)
- Bring A Friend: 10% discount (each) for couples or friends attending the course together (Discount Code: COB4TWO)
- Group & Family: Groups of 3 or more attending the course together, please click here to contact us about discounts.
- Financial aid: Payment plans and limited partial scholarships (based on low income / financial need & intention to use the training) available by application. We actively support diverse leaders in bringing their unique perspectives to this program through additional financial support as needed. We welcome those self-identifying as a person of color, LGBTQ+, indigenous, and persons working for global justice who have highly limited means. Click here to contact us for more information.
- Before March 15, 2020: Full refund, excluding $50 cancellation fee.
- March 15 – April 15, 2020: Partially refundable, $300 deposit non refundable.
- After April 15, 2020: No refunds available.
- In case of a valid personal medical or family emergency, we will consider, yet do not guarantee, requests for a transfer of fees (less course deposit) to another course with Quail Springs.
This Course is Full
If you would like to be added to the waiting list, please fill out our form below and let us know.
The course is currently full, however there are often cancellations so we encourage you to contact us to be put on our waiting list:
Natural Building Courses
Have a comment or question about this course? We’d love to hear from you! Please fill out our form and we’ll get back to you soon.