Skills for Low Tech Mushroom
Cultivation Weekend Course
Not currently offered
In collaboration with Danielle Stevenson of D.I.Y. Fungi, this course will introduce the art and science of mushroom cultivation by offering low-tech, home-scale methods for growing mushrooms for food, medicine and earth renewal. We will focus on less-sterile approaches to creating your own mushroom cultures (“spawn”), fruiting mushrooms for food and medicine, and working with fungi to build soil, boost your garden, and address soil and water contamination.
Throughout this mushroom cultivation course, you will learn about setting up cultivation space at home, gathering materials and equipment, and gain experiential hands-on skills to make liquid cultures, petri cultures, grain spawn, sawdust kits, and more. You will learn simple ways to grow and make mushroom medicine, grow mushrooms in your garden, digest household waste with fungi, and work with fungi for remediation. The course will involve a mix of lecture-style learning and a lot of hands-on indoor and outdoor skill building.
Saturday will focus on growing cultures from spores and starting spawn. Sunday will focus on mushroom fruiting and outdoor installations.
Each participant will take away their own mushroom cultures (1 liquid culture, 1 Oyster or King Stropharia mushroom grow kit + 1 grain spawn jar) and a Mushroom Cultivation Manual to refer back to. Valued at $75-100.
We're not currently offering this course...
If you have a comment or question about this course please fill out our form below and we'll get back to you soon.
- Sliding Scale Cost: $350 –$500 — What is Sliding Scale?
- Course fee includes: Instruction, materials, farm fresh meals, camping & facilities
- Limited to 40 students
- Early Bird: $50 discount if paid in full by October 1st (Discount Code: FIRSTFRUIT)
- Financial Aid: Work trade positions are full for this course. Please click here to contact us.
- Before October 20: Full refund available excluding $50 cancellation fee
- Between Oct 20 - Nov 8: Partial refund (with non-refundable $100 deposit)
- After November 8: No refund available
The course is currently full, however there are often cancellations so we encourage you to contact us to be put on our waiting list:
Have a comment or question about this course? We'd love to hear from you! Please fill out our form and we'll get back to you soon.