SUMMER PROGRAM FOR YOUTH
TO BE ANNOUNCED
SEEDS of Sustainable Vocations is a 5-day intensive for youth ages 15-20 years old. This program offers hands-on learning around ecology, justice, community, personal expression, and fun.
Community & Justice
This summer we will play, sing, feast and collaborate! Come join a community of youth from all over to learn, adventure, and co-create. We’ll dive into shared projects on the land, explore justice, and practice telling our stories.
Ecology & Permaculture
At Seeds, every day will include time out on the land. Whether we’re learning animal husbandry by milking our goat herd, hiking to the top of our watershed, or exploring how to steward the places we live, we will develop our senses as people connected to a place. Imagine planting a food forest, picking salad for tonight’s dinner, or tending our flock of chickens.
Wilderness Skills & Hands-on Skills
We love hands-on learning! 2019 experiential skills include archery, tending our farm animals, crafting, animal tracking, cooking from the farm, the way of council, song, storytelling and natural building. We’ll work side by side to craft, have fun, and connect in new ways.
About Quail Springs’ Land and Community
Quail Springs is a leading environmental educational nonprofit that empowers students of all ages and backgrounds with knowledge, skills, and inspiration essential to cultivating ecological and social health. As stewards of a 450-acre, high desert permaculture farm and conservation site, we teach strategies for designing resilient environments and creating vibrant communities. Quail Springs is a collective of onsite educators, farmers, ecologists, natural builders, chefs, and artists connected to local and international networks of leading-edge practitioners and passionate change-makers.
Topics we will explore
Instructors & Facilitators
Help Empower Youth Leadership - Donate Here
SEEDS is a program for youth ages 15-20, designed to dive deep into the intersections of community, justice, ecology, and self-expression. We foster and encourage the innate creative and resilient potential of young people who are concerned with the issues we all face in a rapidly changing and challenging world. Through this immersive 5-day experiential program, we help youth recognize their own gifts, and provide new insights and tools towards creating a more sustainable, just, and hopeful world.
The majority of our students are in need of scholarships, and YOUR generosity makes this program possible! From our hearts to yours, we thank you.
- Course Tuition: $700 – $1100 Sliding Scale (deposit of $250 reserves your space in the program once you are accepted with the balance due by June 10th). Sliding Scale means you select the amount within this range that is possible for your family to contribute. Additional scholarships are available.
- Tuition Includes:instruction, course materials, 3 farm-fresh meals a day, transportation to field trip sites, camping accommodations, immersion in Quail Springs community life, mentoring support, alumni network, invitation to advanced trainings, access to job & internship resources and more.
- Payment Plans: Payment plans are available after a deposit is made, contact us below for more information.
Discounts: (limit one discount per person – discount codes are not to be applied to a deposit payment)
- Early Bird: $300 discount if paid in full by May 1, 2019
- Group Discounts: We are actively seeking organizational partners who work with youth and wish to send groups of students from their home communities. Groups of 3 or more attending the course together, please click here to contact us.
- We offer generous scholarships to those who have high financial need. Scholarship awards are based on income, resources, student commitment, and ability to share skills learned with students’ home communities. We work with all students who would like to attend the program to make it financially accessible.
- We actively support diverse young people in bringing their unique perspectives to this program through additional financial support as needed. We welcome and support as needed those self-identifying as persons of color, LGBTQ+, indigenous youth, and youth who have highly limited finances.
- We deeply value and support equitable access to social & ecological justice education. We recognize the need to support diversity, equity, and allyship as core pillars of regenerating a healthy world community. The aim of our scholarship program is to grow connections between diverse young leaders, build bridges, push edges, and inspire each other to tend both our personal and ecological well-being.
- Before May 1, 2019: Full refund, excluding $100 cancellation fee.
- May 1 – June 1, 2019: Partially Refundable, $250 deposit non-refundable.
- After June 1, 2019: No refunds available.
- In case of a valid personal medical or family emergency, we will consider requests for a transfer of fees (less course deposit) to another course(s) with Quail Springs.
To be announced…
If you have a comment or question about this course please fill out our form below and we’ll get back to you soon.
On your half-day visit to Quail Springs Permaculture Farm, you will learn about: growing food in the high desert; tending a variety of healthy food-giving animals; sustainable shelter; living regeneratively; and stewarding agricultural lands, watersheds, & wilderness.
This course will introduce the art and science of mushroom cultivation by offering low-tech, home-scale methods for growing mushrooms for food, medicine and earth renewal. You will learn about setting up cultivation space at home, gathering materials and equipment, and gain experiential hands-on skills to make liquid cultures, petri cultures, grain spawn, sawdust kits, and more.
Have a comment or question about this course? We’d love to hear from you! Please fill out our form and we’ll get back to you soon.